Millard Fillmore was born on January 7, 1800.
- The 13th President of the United States
- The first Chancellor of the university at Buffalo now known as the University at Buffalo, the State University of New York
- The “handsomest man I ever met” according to Queen Victoria
- Namesake of one of the earliest capitals of Utah, Fillmore, in Millard County
- Almost definitely NOT the person responsible for putting plumbing in the White House, especially for the first plumbed bathtub.
Happy birthday, Mr. Fillmore! We hardly know ye, still!
(Prof. Parker at Another History Blog worked to dog down the quote attributed to Fillmore that I mentioned Friday: “May God save the country, for it is evident that the people will not.” He could not confirm the quote, but at least as good and probably better, he offers a free history database. Go see.)