In the last two weeks we’ve seen a virtual-world assault by Richard Tren, Roger Bate and Don Roberts, alternately telling fantastic tales about how Rachel Carson from beyond the grave organized a mass murder that rivals Joseph Stalin, or saying that environmentalists conspire to keep life-saving chemicals from getting to Africa and Asia.
Fraud? That’s all on Bate. Here are things Bate will not tell you:
- No malaria fighting organization claims it needs more DDT.
- DDT has never been banned in Africa, nor Asia.
- If any nation wishes to use DDT to fight malaria, that nation need only write a letter to the World Health Organization informing WHO of that fact.
- If anyone violates the Persistent Organic Pollutants Treaty (POPs) and uses DDT without telling WHO first, there is no penalty.
- Malaria death rates are, now, at the lowest level in human history. While there is a threat of a resurgence of malaria, the threat comes because the malaria parasites themselves develop resistant to the pharmaceuticals used to treat the disease in humans — no connection to DDT.
- DDT use cannot stop malaria. Consider: India is one of two or three nations today who still manufacture DDT, and India uses more DDT than all the rest of the world’s nations put together. Malaria is still a problem for India.
- Beating malaria requires more than poisoning the hell out of Africa.
Roger Bate: Walking science, history, law and policy fraud. His claims are hoaxes.