March 22, 2011
WordPress was down for a few hours this afternoon, and I had a longish meeting this evening. I’m running behind.
While I’m gearing up to get my promised comments up, take a look at Stanley Fish’s post at his New York Times blog:
In over 35 years of friendship and conversation, Walter Michaels and I have disagreed on only two things, and one of them was faculty and graduate student unionization. He has always been for and I had always been against. I say “had” because I recently flipped and what flipped me, pure and simple, was Wisconsin.
When I think about the reasons (too honorific a word) for my previous posture I become embarrassed. They are by and large the reasons rehearsed and apparently approved by Naomi Schaefer Riley in her recent op-ed piece “Why unions hurt higher education” (USA Today). The big reason was the feeling — hardly thought through sufficiently to be called a conviction — that someone with an advanced degree and scholarly publications should not be in the same category as factory workers with lunch boxes and hard hats. As Riley points out, even the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) used to be opposed to unionization because of “the commonly held belief that universities were not corporations and faculty were not employees.”
Good discussion from smart guys. Go see.
March 22, 2011
From the EDUSolidarity site:
Throughout the day of March 22, teachers will be sharing posts entitled “Why Teachers Like Us Support Unions”. For those of you here to share, thank you for doing so. To submit your posts, click here.
For those of you not sharing, we hope you will take the time to read from an extremely varied and wide variety of teachers across the country and world. We ask that you read with open minds. You will read many different reasons for support, some of them contradictory. What all stories will share though is a desire to serve students. We all feel that teachers unions give us the best shot to give our students the best possible education.
The full list of posts can be found here.
If you’re a blogger and you want to join us, please do. Send the link to your post to the EDUSolidarity site — and let us know about it here, in comments.
Teachers in New York City are wearing red in support of union teachers (so are some in Dallas).
Of course, this is a part-time activity for those of us who teach. I don’t have my post up yet, and may not until the school day is over.
We’re professional teachers, not professional lobbyists. We don’t have billionaires paying for our political speech, only our hearts and minds.
Other bloggers’ contributions
- Rachel Levy at All Things Education
- Sarah Puglisi at A Day in the Life
- Leo Casey at EdWize
- Sherman Dorn
- Gregg Lundahl at Edwize
- Doug Noon – Borderland – Fairbanks, AK.
- Jamie Josephson – Dontworryteach – Washington, DC.
- Kate Nowak – f(t) – Syracuse, NY.
- Sabrina Stevens Shupe – Failing Schools – Denver, CO.
- Jonathan – jd2718 – Bronx, NY.
- Anthony Cody – Living in Dialogue – Oakland, CA.
- Stephen Lazar – Outside the Cave – Gotham Schools – Bronx, NY.
- Nancy Flanagan – Teacher in a Strange Land – Cedar, MI.
- Ken Bernstein aka “teacherken” – teacherken at Daily Kos – Arlington, VA. teacherken
- Jose Vilson – The Jose Vilson – New York, NY. thejlv
- Sophie Germain – A Brand New Line – Santa Clara, CA. sophgermain
- Sarah Puglisi – A Day In the Life – Oxnard, CA.
- Jeff Silva-Brown – A Passion for Teaching and Opinions – Ukiah, CA. ukiahcoachbrown
- Dan Anderson – A Recursive Process – Saratoga Springs, NY. dandersod
- Mr. A. Talk – Accountable Talk – New York, NY.
- Frank Noschese – Action-Reaction – Cross River, NY. fnoschese
- Lisa Butler – Adventures with Technology – Harrisburg, PA. SrtaLisa
- Rachel Levy – All Things Education – Ashland, VA. RachelAnneLevy
- Jason Buell – Always Formative – San Jose, CA. jybuell
- The Reflective Educator – An Urban Teacher’s Education – New York, NY. urbanteachersed
- Apple A Day – Apple A Day Project – Boston, MA. appleadayproj
- Amy Valens – August to June: Bringing Life to School – New York, NY. augusttojune
- Chana – Blogging at the Edge of Democracy – Durham, NC. democracysedge
- Bud Hunt – Bud the Teacher – Fort Collins, CO. budtheteacher
- Chaz – Chaz’s School Daze – Queens, NY.
- Marc Bousquet – Chronicle of Higher Education – Los Gatos, CA.
- David Coffey – Delta Scape – Spring Lake, MI. delta_dc
- Leo Casey – Dissent Magazine – New York, NY.
- Brent Nycz – Don’t Settle – New York, NY. BNiche
- Peter – Ed in the Apple – New York, NY.
- Norm Scott – Education Notes – Rockaway Beach, NY.
- Deven Black – Education on the Plate – New York City, NY. devenkblack
- David Andrade – Educational Technology Guy – Bridgeport, CT. daveandcori
- educator4WI – educator4WI – Madison, WI.
- Francis S. Midy – EduSolidarity Essays – Bronx, NY.
- Suzanne Donahue – EduSolidarity Essays – Rockland County, NY.
- Eric Brunsell – Edutopia – STEM Blog – Appleton, WI. Brunsell
- Esther Berkson – Edwize – Bronx, NY.
- Jason Leibowitz – Edwize – New York, NY.
- Jessica Jacobs – Edwize – Staten Island, NY.
- Lissette Velazquez – Edwize – New York, NY.
- Marc Korashan – Edwize – New York, NY.
- Roseanne McCosh – Edwize – Bronx, NY.
- Jenny – Elementary, My Dear, or Far From It – Springfield, VA. jenorr
- Marie Levey-Pabst – English Teachin’ Vegan – Boston, MA.
- Christal Watts – Five Feet of Feisty – Fairfield, CA. christal_watts
- Jay Bullock – folkbum’s rambles and rants – Milwaukee, WI. folkbum
- Fred Klonsky – Fred Klonsky’s Blog – Chicago, IL. fklonsky
- Zeno – Halfway There – Northern CA.
- Mimi Yang – I Hope This Old Train Breaks Down… – El Salvador (formerly NYC). untilnextstop
- Cathy B – I.M.O. In My Opinion – Detroit, MI. Cathy_Brackett
- David B. Cohen – InterACT – Palo Alto, CA. CohenD
- Ruben Brosbe – Is Our Children Learning? – New York, NY. blogsbe
- Lynne Winderbaum – jd2718 (friend’s blog) – Rockland County, NY.
- Larry Ferlazzo – Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of The Day – Sacramento, CA. larryferlazzo
- Julia Tsygan – Learning (by) Teaching – Stockholm, Sweden.
- Kathryn Coffey – Literacy Gurl – Spring Lake, MI. literacygurl
- Gregg Lundahl – Lundahl – New York, NY.
- Brian Cohen – Making the Grade – Philadelphia, PA. bncohen
- Mark Anderson – MAnderson’s Bubble – New York, NY. mandercorn
- Nick Yates – Maryland Math Madness – Baltimore, MD. nyates314
- Curmudgeon – Math Curmudgeon – VT.
- Chris Hill – Math is a Shovel – Seattle, WA. hillby258
- Sue VanHattum – Math Mama Writes – Richmond, CA.
- Owen Thomas – MathEdZineBlog – Columbus, OH. vlorbik
- John Golden – mathhombre – Grand Haven, MI. mathhombre
- Miss Adventure – Miss Adventure’s Adventures – GA.
- Michael Dunn – Modern School – San Francisco, CA. ModSchool
- Bill Ivey – My Blog at ISENET.ning.com – Shelburne Falls, MA.
- Tricia DiPasquale – My Life – Somerville, MA. PDiPasquale
- Kristen Fouss – My Web 2.0 journey – Cincinnati, OH. fouss
- Courtney Ferrell – No Teacher Left Behind – New York, NY.
- Miss Eyre – NYC Educator – New York, NY.
- Christopher Sears – Omega Unlimited – Maysville, KY.
- Stephen Lazar – Outside the Cave – Bronx, NY. SLazarOtC
- John Mcrann – Outside the Cave (guest post) – Bronx, NY.
- Penelope Millar – Outside the Cave (Guest post) – VA. PetiteViking
- Alexa – Pas Pour Tout Les Yeux (personal blog, mostly private) – Chicago, IL.
- Chris Spiliotis – passing notes – Enterprise, FL. _thelink
- Pat Ballew – Pat’s Blog – USA.
- Peggy Robertson – Peg with Peg – Centennial, CO. PegwithPen
- Brendan Murphy – Philosophy Without A Home – Waukegan IL. dendari
- pissedoffteacher – Pissedoffteacher – Queens, NY.
- Chris Lehmann – Practical Theory – Philadelphia, PA. chrislehmann
- Gamal Sherif – ProgressEd – Philadelphia, PA.
- Alice Mercer – Reflections on Teaching – Sacramento, CA. alicemercer
- Chuck Olynyk – Remember Fremont – Pomona, CA.
- Nancy Cavillones – Se Hace Camino al Andar – Bronx, NY.
- Shakespeare’s Sister – Shakespeare’s Sister – CO. shakes_sister
- Sherman Dorn – Sherman Dorn – Tampa, FL. shermandorn
- Chris Janotta – SOS Million Teacher Blog Site – Tinley Park IL. SOSMTM
- Ira David Socol – SpeEdChange – Holland, MI. irasocol
- Maria Angala – Teacher Sol – Washington, DC. TeacherSol
- Mary Rice-Boothe – The Education Traveler – New York, NY. Edu_Traveler
- Jose Vilson – The Jose Vilson – New York, NY. thejlv
- Timothy Boyle – The Notebook – Philadelphia, PA.
- Samuel Reed – The Philadelphia Public School Notebook – Philadelphia, PA. sriii2000
- Kelly Mueller – The Power of Accomplished Teaching – St. Louis, MO. lkelly46
- Rich Trash – The Trashman’s Disposable Reader – Queens, NY. RichTrash
- David Reber – Topeka K-12 Examiner – Lawrence, KS. David_Reber
- Tuba Bauhofer – Tuba Bauhofer – Kent. springrose12
- Mary Tedrow – Walking to School – Winchester, VA. mtedrow
- Katie Svoboda – What’s on Katie’s Mind? – Sturgis, MI.
- Paul Wagner – zenbassoon at Daily Kos – Hebron, IN. BssnistPaul