Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force: You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you.
– Order of the Day, 6 June, 1944 (some sources list this as issued 2 June)
- Photo: Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower talks with paratroopers of the U.S. 101st Airborne Division, June 5, 1944; photo credit unclear; from Ohio State University
- Be sure to check out the follow-up post, on the exigency message Ike didn’t have to use.
- General Dwight D. Eisenhower (Normandy, June 5, 1944) (apropus.wordpress.com)
- You: Leadership Lessons from Dwight D. Eisenhower #1: How to Build and Sustain Morale (artofmanliness.com)
- “Grandma Voted for Ike” (greenmountainscribes.wordpress.com)
- Fort Campbell honored the fallen on Memorial Day (clarksvilleonline.com)
- Gehry Offers Changes In Eisenhower Memorial Design (baltimore.cbslocal.com)
- A Supreme Confidence: Ike in War and Peace (dinmerican.wordpress.com)
The general certainly had a clear goal – “full victory – nothing less.”
LikeLiked by 1 person