The Center for Inquiry (CFI) joined in the calls to end plans for any worship center for Islam near the site of the destroyed World Trade Center. But they added a twist.
CFI called for the entire area to be free from religious institutions, since, they say, it was religiously-inspired violence that caused the trouble. Greg Laden has pithy comments at his blog, as does DuWayne Brayton from the opposite tack (Laden agrees with CFI, sorta, while Brayton thinks they’ve jumped somebody’s shark).
How about it, Joe, how about it Morgan? Doesn’t this plan meet yours and Sarah Palin’s objections to Cordoba House?
And Glenn Beck in ignorance leads us farther and further from the intentions of the “founders”:
- “ . . . to bigotry, no sanction . . .” (George Washington)
- ” . . . they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and the Mahometan, the Hindoo, and the Infidel of every denomination.” (Thomas Jefferson)
Also at Millard Fillmore’s Bathtub:
- Statement from the National Council of Churches’ Michael Kinnamon (a Disciple of Christ, by the way)
- “Hallowed Ground: Why other nations think we’re nuts”
- “Cat and Mosque at Dogboy and Mr. Dan”