Our best bet to get the economy growing at a fast enough pace to create jobs for the unemployed, and create jobs for new graduates from high school and college, is to get a Congress that will vote for employment bills instead of making legislative gridlock.
In Virginia, in the 7th Congressional District, Wayne Powell runs to replace GOP Majority Leader Eric Cantor. You might remember Cantor as the guy who said he would not support disaster relief for Virginia’s 7th after the 2011 earthquake. Powell is a retired Army Colonel and Richmond attorney.
On almost every issue, Powell runs circles around Cantor. In debates, for example, Powell challenges Cantor to explain his votes to extend perks to Congressmen, while shorting the pay of active duty military and veterans — to no avail, Cantor won’t explain. What could he say?
Especially, what could Cantor say to a decorated veteran like Powell?
Powell can use your help, and contributions. Check him out at his campaign website, PowellforVA.com.
No, this isn’t the Welsh former soccer player Wayne Powell. The Welsh Powell would probably represent Virginia better than Cantor, too, but he’s still managing Leamington FC, last I heard.
- Dem. Wayne Powell talks about race against Eric Cantor (wtvr.com)
- Eric Cantor and Wayne Powell to hold debate (wtvr.com)
- Wayne Powell on how the Internet could help him oust House Maj. Leader Eric Cantor from Congress in #VA07 (current.com)
- Cantor, Powell face off in spirited debate (timesdispatch.com)
- “Self-absorbed, egomaniacal” (salon.com)
- President Obama Campaign Video: “Fighting for People with Disabilities” (uneditedpolitics.com)
- Richmond Times-Dispatch photo gallery of August 23, 2011 earthquake
- Crooks and Liars – “Eric Cantor: No federal earthquake disaster aid without spending cuts”
- Lively debate between Cantor, and challenger Powell (wtvr.com)
Coda: Yeah, Powell’s probably more conservative than most Democrats; he’ll still be better than Cantor, for Virginia, and for the nation.