In an ueber weird commercial the German Metalworkers Union puts up on YouTube what may be the single greatest get out the vote ad ever.
A rough transcript of the text to juice up the Aussies out there who also have an election coming up, even though they have to vote.
0:05 Germany chills out
0:13 All the important stuff in 2013 has been decided
0:30 Really, already decided?
0:48 On September 22 the cards will be mixed again
0:51 (Merkel) This government has been the most successful in Germany since the reunification . .
0:57 (Steinbrueck SDP) This government thinks that they can slide through . .
1:00 (FDP = libertarians) Only one thing can beat the, the FDP itself
1:04 National election 2013
1:07 Problems there are aplenty
1:12 No joy from a lousy job?
1:16 Too few nursery places? R. Tol appears
1:23 Rather retire earlier?
1:29 Better education?
1:38 It’s not so easy, first you have one house, and then another
1:40 You can never have enough
14:2 Right now we have an asocial , not a social one
1:46 You have a voice, use it
1:56 September 22 is the election
2:01 It’s close
2:07 It’s difficult
2:11 It’s gonna be dirty
2:17 Unexpected coalitions will emerge
2:25 It’s time to beat on the table
2:39 Onwards to the election!
2:51 So, let’s discuss this a bit further
Maybe you’ll watch the G20 meetings with a little different perspective?
Who was the genius behind that compilation (file under “highest and best use of weird internet videos this year”)? Can we hire her or him for the Texas elections next year?
- Merkel wins narrow victory over Social Democrat rival in pre-election TV clash (theguardian.com)
- Hidden by glowing stats, Germany’s poor struggle (thenewstribune.com)
- Angela Merkel lines up with David Cameron to rein in Brussels – and to defeat Germany’s new eurosceptic party (conservativehome.blogs.com)
- Germany’s Merkel taunts opponents over euro crisis (kansascity.com)
- The Undecided: How Merkel Could Lose (spiegel.de)
- G20 major economies
- German election blog at Der Spiegel
- Sydney Morning Herald, “Another Steinfeld election for Australia”
- Merkel’s necklace gets its own Twitter account (thelocal.de)